Our cooperation with the German Embassy and Consulates in China has ended.

Since February 20, 2019 TLScontact is no longer accepting visa applications on behalf of the German missions in China.

Applicants whose applications are still processed by the German missions should contact the German missions regarding their application status.

The website and locations of the new service provider for visa applications are published through the website of the Embassy of Germany.


“Formal obligation letter – Verpflichtungserklärung”

A “Verpflichtungserklärung” is a document required if you are going to Germany and planning to stay for a period of less than 3 months with friends or relatives with permanent residence in Germany.

A Verpflichtungserklärung” form, otherwise also known as a Certificate of Board & Lodging, must be obtained by your host in Germany if you are planning to stay with them. (If your host cannot provide you with this document, you may ask another person than your host to provide the “Verpflichtungserklärung”.) Your host may obtain this document from their local municipal administration. Your host must fill in and sign form Bundesdruckerei article-no. 10150 and will also have to provide the following materials:

  • Identity card or passport of the host

  • Prove of financial ability (e.g. through pay slip, notice of pension granted, tax statement for self-employed persons or proof of savings)

  • For legal persons: proof of power of representation

  • Form “Angaben zur Verpflichtungserklärung” (one for each visa applicant; accompanying spouse or children below 16 years can be covered in the same „Verpflichtungserklärung”).

The municipal administration will charge an administrative fee of EUR 29 for the issuance of the “Verpflichtungserklärung”.

For the visa application you will have to hand in the original and a copy of the “Verpflichtungserklärung”, you will receive the original back with your passport. Please keep it with you during your stay in Europe.