Our cooperation with the German Embassy and Consulates in China has ended.

Since February 20, 2019 TLScontact is no longer accepting visa applications on behalf of the German missions in China.

Applicants whose applications are still processed by the German missions should contact the German missions regarding their application status.

The website and locations of the new service provider for visa applications are published through the website of the Embassy of Germany.


Scholar exchange

Please submit all documents to substantiate your travel purpose. It is advised that all group members submit their applications together. 

If you visit several schools in the context of mainly tourist group travel, please apply for a tourism visa. If the journey is organized by a Chinese or German intermediary company, this information should be clearly mentioned in your documents.


Documents which need to be submitted

In addition to the basic documents, please prepare the supplementary documents according to your personal circumstances, as follows:


Basic documents

1. Passport (Original +  Copy of the identity page)

- Valid for at least 3 months after the planned departure date from the Schengen area

- Must be signed by the holder (Chinese applicants sign in Chinese characters)

- Must have at least two completely blank visa pages

- No damage

- More information under „Passport

2. Two identity photos (Original)

- Two biometric passport sized photos with white background, not older than 6 months.

- More information under „Photo

Have a compliant photograph taken directly at the Visa Application Centre! For more information, please click here.

3. Application form (Original)

- Please complete the following application form in full. Print a copy of all pages, sign it and submit it with your other visa application documents. For more information, read the user guide or the launch assistant directly on the website.

- Signed by the applicant. Application forms for minors should be signed by at least one parent. Signatures are also required in field 37 and on the additional declaration.   

- Signature must match the signature in the passport

4. Invitation letter from the German school (Original)

- Must contain contact details and include the original signature of the school’s official (no digital signatures), name and position. The letter must not be signed in China on behalf of the representative.

- Name list including all students and accompanying persons

- Type of accommodation for the students; if applicable confirmation about accommodation with guest families

- A scanned copy, together with a printout of the email with which it was sent to the applicant (sender and transmission details must be visible), may be provided if the original invitation letter is not available.

5. Confirmation letter from the Chinese school  (Original)

- On official company paper including current address and contact details (phone and fax number, email address, homepage) in Chinese and with German or English translation, school seal

- Description of the purpose and duration of the planned travel

6. Financing of travel and accomodation costs

Self-financing by the applicant (Original)

- see section 13 for requirements, more information in FAQ „Bank statement


Confirmation that the German school or Chinese school bears the travel and accommodation costs (Original)


A third party bears all travel and accommodation expenses (Original)

- Example: scholarship proof

7. Copies of previous Schengen visa

8. Hukou (Copy)* / Chinese residence permit (Copy) **

- *Only for Chinese nationals: copies of all printed pages without translation

- **Only for foreign nationals in China: copy of current Chinese residence permit

9. Overseas travel health insurance policy (Original + Copy)

- Valid for all Schengen countries (travel destination must be shown as Schengen area)

- Insurance policy in Chinese and English including:

  1. Repatriation in case of illness and death (mortal remains)

  2. Emergency medical treatment and inpatient treatment

  3. Coverage of at least 30,000 EUR

- More information under „Travel health insurance

Purchase full insurance coverage for the Schengen area directly at the Visa Application Centre! Just ask the staff in our centre how to purchase one. For more information, please click here.

10. Letter of authorization for visa application/ passport return (Original)

- Only applicable if your application is submitted by a representative

- Download Letter of authorization

- More information in FAQ Application submission by a representative

11. Representative’s ID Card or passport (Original+Copy)

- Only applicable if your application is submitted by a representative




Accompanying person

12. Employment / Company certificate (Original)

- Written on official company paper, including the company stamp. The letter should also include the current address and contact details (phone number, fax number, homepage, and email address). The letter should be written in Chinese, with a German or English translation.

- Signed by the authorized person (no digital signature); the signature must not be signed by a third party on behalf of the authorised representative. 

- More information in FAQ „Employment certificate/ Company certificate

13. Company license (Copy)*

- Current license with company stamp

*not required for universities and public institutions

14. Bank statement (Original)

- Salary account or other current accounts with proof of regular income for the last three months

- No excerpts of credit card statements and fixed-term deposits

- More information under „Bank statement




Minors (under the age of 18)

For more information please refer to FAQ „Minors

15. Student card (Copy)

16. Studies certificate (Original)

A letter from the school signed by an authorised official (no digital signature)

- Must contain permission for absence

- In Chinese, with a German or English translation

*Does not have to be provided if the intended journey takes place during legal Chinese school holidays

17. Birth certificate or certificate of family relation (Original + Copy)

- Notary certificate legalized by the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, including a German or English translation

18. Parental authority delegation (Original +Copy)

One or both parents are not accompanying the minor:

- Notary certificate of permission to travel legalized by the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, including a German or English translation (Original +Copy)

One or both parents are accompanying the minor and have obtained the visa:

- Copy of the passport identity page of the accompanying parent

- Copy of the parent’s valid visas

- Flight reservation showing the minor’s and accompanying parent’s name (Copy)

*For more information please refer to FAQ Minors

19. Proof of financing*

Bank statement of one parent (Original, see section 14 for requirements)


Employment certificate of the parent (Original, see section 12 for requirements)

*not necessary if the minor is travelling with at least one parent and the visa applications of the  minor and accompanying parent are submitted as a group




In justified individual cases the German Diplomatic missions in China may ask you to submit additional documents which are not mentioned in the above document list. The submission of the mentioned documents does not guarantee the issuance of a visa.

All submitted documents must be formally and content wise accurate and correspond to the actual travel purpose.