Our cooperation with the German Embassy and Consulates in China has ended.

Since February 20, 2019 TLScontact is no longer accepting visa applications on behalf of the German missions in China.

Applicants whose applications are still processed by the German missions should contact the German missions regarding their application status.

The website and locations of the new service provider for visa applications are published through the website of the Embassy of Germany.


Private visit – Spouse of a German citizen


Please submit all documents to substantiate the purpose of your visit.

Frequent travelers can apply for a multiple entry visa which may be valid for a period of one year or more.


Important: A Schengen visa allows you to stay in Germany 90 days within a period of 180 days. It is not possible to transform a Schengen visa into a permanent family reunion visa. If you would like to apply for a permanent stay in Germany, please apply at the respective German mission. You will find detailed information on the homepage of the German missions in China under


Documents which need to be submitted

1. Passport (Original +  Copy of the identity page)

- Valid for at least 3 months after the planned departure date from the Schengen area

- Must be signed by the holder (Chinese applicants sign in Chinese characters)

- Must have at least two completely blank visa pages

- No damage

- More information under „Passport

2. Two identity photos (Original)

- Two biometric passport sized photos with white background, not older than 6 months

- More information under „Photo

- Have a compliant photograph taken directly at the Visa Application Centre! For more information, please click here.

3. Application form (Original)

- Please complete the following application form in full. Print a copy of all pages, sign it and submit it with your other visa application documents. For more information, read the user guide or the launch assistant directly on the website.

- Signed by the applicant. Application forms for minors should be signed by at least one parent. Signatures are also required in field 37 and on the additional declaration.   

- Signature must match the signature in the passport

4.  Marriage Certificate

German marriage certificate (Copy)


Chinese marriage certificate

- Notary certificate legalized by the Chinese Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, with a German or English translation

More information concerning the legalization of Chinese documents can be found on the homepage of the German missions in China


Foreign marriage certificate

- With German or English translation

- If not issued by an authority within the EU, with apostil or legalization notice (refer to document list apostil / legalization on the website of the German Embassy)

5. Letter issued by the German spouse (Original)

- Informal letter in German or English

- Containing current address, contact details, planned locations of stay in Germany incl. address, period of visit and financing

- Original signature

- Important: by submitting a detailed letter containing information about the living situation of the foreign spouse living in China, you can help to minimize enquiries and facilitate the visa application process

6. ID document of the German spouse (Copy)

- Copy of the passport’s or ID’s identity page

7. German spouse lives in China:

- Chinese visa of the German spouse (Copy)

If the German spouse’s Chinese visa is expiring before the planned return of the applicant from the Schengen area, the applicant needs to provide further documents to prove his/ her return readiness to China. Example: employment certificate or working contract, study certificate etc.

8. German spouse lives in Germany:

- Applicant’s documents related to the living situation in China

  Example: working contract, employment certificate, proof for freelance activities etc.

- Unemployed persons can explain their personal situation and their readiness to return to China in a detailed letter

9. Copies of previous Schengen visa

10. Hukou (Copy)* / Chinese residence permit (Copy) **

- *Only for Chinese nationals: copies of all printed pages without translation

- **Only for foreign nationals in China: copy of current Chinese residence permit

11. Overseas travel health insurance policy (Original + Copy)

- Valid for all Schengen countries (travel destination must be shown as Schengen area)

- Insurance policy in Chinese and English including:

1. Repatriation in case of illness and death (mortal remains)

2. Emergency medical treatment and inpatient treatment

3. Coverage of at least 30,000 EUR

- More information under „Travel health insurance

Purchase full insurance coverage for the Schengen area directly at the Visa Application Centre! Just ask the staff in our centre how to purchase one. For more information, please click here.

12. Letter of authorization for visa application/ passport return (Original)

- Only applicable if your application is submitted by a representative

- Download Letter of authorization

- More information in FAQ Application submission by a representative

13. Representative’s ID Card or passport (Original+Copy)

- Only applicable if your application is submitted by a representative


The German Embassy and Consulates General in China reserve the right to request additional documents which are not mentioned in the above document list. The submission of the required documents does not guarantee that a visa will be issued.

All documents submitted must be genuine and must relate to the travel purpose. Submission of a false document may lead to visa refusal.