TLScontact designed a variety of services to enhance your visa application experience.
Click here to learn more about ALL OF OUR SERVICES

Application information

Travel Purpose and Documents

Follow these steps in order to apply for a Schengen visa. A Schengen visa allows a maximum stay of 90 days within a period of 180 days in the Schengen countries. Germany must be your main travel destination.

Select the purpose of your trip to Germany using one of the following categories. Click on the items to download the required documents.

the documents below carefully


Read the list of documents which need to be submitted with your visa application based on your travel purpose/category and prepare the documents carefully. Always choose the correct travel purpose/category.

SCHENGEN VISA (for stay less than 90 days)

British citizens do not require a visa for the European Union Schengen Member States if the duration of their stay does not exceed 90 days within any 180-day period. Please note that you may not pursue any economic activity in Germany unless such activity is explicitly authorized by a visa or a residence permit issued in Germany.

Business (less than 90 days)

You are planning a business trip to Germany? . A recent signed official invitation letter in PDF, on official company letterhead from business partner in Germany confirming the kind of business relations, travel purpose, duration of business trip(s) and if applicable, a confirmation to cover travel expenses and costs of stay occurring. If presenting at a conference, invitation letter should indicate this also.
When attending a trade fair invitation requirement is waived, but trade fair entry ticket is mandatory along with confirmed hotel booking.

Check the List of documents.

Short-Term Economic Activity (less than 90 days)

Check the List of documents.

Airport Transit Visa

Do you need an airport transit visa? Click here to check.

Check the List of documents.

Tourism (less than 90 days)

You are planning on visiting and touring Germany?

Check the List of documents.

Family/Friend Visit (less than 90 days)

You are planning on visiting friends or family?

Check the List of documents.

Medical Treatment (less than 90 days)

Check the List of documents.

EEA/ EU and SWISS National Family Members

You are a family member of an EU citizen (non-German)? EEA/EU and Swiss nationals family members are able to apply for a Schengen visa as EEA/EU and Swiss national family member, meaning that they can submit fewer documents and are exempt from paying the visa fee, while traveling with their EEA/EU or Swiss national family member.

Check the List of documents.

NATIONAL VISA (for stay over 90 days)

If you plan to stay in Germany for more than 90 days, you need to apply for a national visa.

Some employment visas can only be applied for at TLScontact Visa Application Centres:

  • All Blue Card applications;
  • All internship visa applications;
  • All general employment visas whereas the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit) has issued a letter confirming pre-approval (Vorabzustimmung) for employment of a named individual with a named company must be submitted at TLScontact. Visa applications for family members accompanying the named individual will also be accepted by TLScontact.

All other applications must be submitted to the German Missions directly.

Work Permit

In order to work in Germany, you will need a residence permit before you enter. Accompanying family members must apply together in the same group.

  • If you are a citizen of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway you have the same freedom of movement as EU nationals;
  • If you are a citizen of Australia, Canada, Israel, Korea (Republic), Japan, New Zealand or the United States of America, you can apply for your residence and work permit after arriving in Germany.

Please note that unless the work permit has been issued you will not be able to work yet. If you want to start working immediately when arriving in Germany, you should apply from the country of your current residence.

Check the List of documents.

Blue Card

Professionals with an academic background in mathematics, IT, the natural sciences or technology as well as medical doctors may qualify for a Blue Card with a remuneration starting at €44,304 (2021 threshold). Accompanying family members must apply together in the same group.

Check the List of documents.

Placement / Internship

Third country nationals (Non-EU/EEA nationals) may be granted a residence permit for a mandatory and/or sponsored placement/internship in Germany. This requires the approval (Zustimmung) of the Federal Employment Agency BA (Bundesagentur für Arbeit). This must be applied for in advance by the future employer/university.

Check the List of documents.

Intra-Corporate (ICT) and Personnel Exchange

Under the European Union ICT scheme, businesses or undertakings established outside the EU may second managers, specialists and trainees to subsidiaries/ branches within the EU.

Check the List of documents.

Service Providers

British nationals employed by a business outside the EU may apply for a visa or residence permit authorising employment in order to fulfil contractual obligations with a German client.

Check the List of documents.